Monday, December 6, 2010

A Series of Fortunate Emails

30 November 2010
kristenrunning to Dad:

Hey Dad,

I sometimes eat at my desk, and decided to look at available upcoming half-marathons. Are you scheduled through February already? I ask because there's a half-marathon in New Orleans on Sunday, Feb. 13th. I've never been to The Big Easy, and this run sounds like it would give me a chance to see a lot of good sights. Furthermore, the elevation map for the race looks like it's mostly flat, which could mean a big PR for me. Here's a write-up about the race: http://www.halfmarathons.net/usa_half_marathons_louisiana_mardi_gras_marathon.html

I have plenty of time to start training, and it's not like I'm starting from scratch - I just did a half marathon two days ago :) I'd only do this one if it meant that I'd get a chance to hang out with you, so what do you think? Is it too late to try and schedule a 4-day weekend in February? I think New Orleans would be a run father-daughter trip...

If this is too soon, I am considering a few races later in the spring (May or June), including the Tacoma City half-marathon, the Capital City half marathon in Olympia, Vancouver BC half marathon, San Diego Rock 'n Roll half marathon, and the Seattle Rock 'n Roll half marathon. I'm still doing some research, too. These could be great excuses to travel a bit (there are races EVERYWHERE), and I'd love to have a fun weekend with you.

Love you lots, Dad. Hope you're enjoying your day!

Kristen


05 December 2010


Dad to kristenrunning
:

Sweetie,,, Forgive me for being so late in returning this. It is breaking my heart to tell you we cant make the New Orleans deal. Mom and I are going on vaca the first week of Feb,,, probable at St Barts in the Caribbean. Then my band plays feb 10th for a benefit for shrine hospital. Please look further down the line.. dad
ps... the san diego deal speaks to me.. hows about a weekend at the hotel del????

kristenrunning to dad:

San Diego and the Hotel Del sound fantastic. Can you make June 5th work with your schedule?
PS -- Glad to hear that you and Mom are taking a well-deserved tropical vacation! That sounds absolutely lovely :) Love you mucho!

Dad to kristenrunning:

sounds great,,,, have to check the schedule. dad

kristenrunning to Dad:

Great! Do you think we can plan for a 3- or 4-day weekend? Maybe take the Monday and Tuesday following the race to enjoy the city? I'd say we should do so before the race, but I'll probably be a little bit jittery. I think we'd have more fun if we took that next two days. Just a thought :)

Dad to kristenrunning:

FABULOUS

Excellent on your syntax, specifically your capitalization in the digital age. Did I send you the one of the importance of capitalization, visa vis "your mom is out side helping your Uncle Jack off the horse" as opposed to "your mom is outside helping your uncle jack off the horse".....

kristenrunning to Dad:

Hahahahaha! Were you just looking for an excuse to drop that joke on me? :)

I'm afraid that you did not send me the one about the importance of capitalization...but have you seen this? http://theoatmeal.com/comics/apostrophe

let me know about the schedule as soon as you find out. The fees don't go up until February, but these sometimes sell out, too. I'd like to secure a spot before that happens :)

Here's the race website: http://san-diego.competitor.com. I'm glad you'll see me run this one (assuming scheduling goes well, of course) because the rock 'n roll series is fun for everyone involved. There's a band at every mile marker, and lots of excited people.

I'm excited!!! :) :) :)

Dad to kristenrunning:

I 99% certain I am free. Book it, Danno....

good stuff. still like the uncle jack stuff. sorry so late,,,, doin the dishes. I am excited about June 5!!!!!! so is mom,,,, should I invite her?

kristenrunning to Dad:

OF COURSE :) The more the merrier!!!!


Rock 'n' Roll San Diego to kristenrunning, kristenrunning forwarded to Dad:

Dear Kristen,
Congratulations! You are now registered for the 2011 Dodge Rock 'n' Roll San Diego - Half Marathon. Please check the event's website for updates.
Please note: Each participant must pick up their own race number at the Health & Fitness Expo. Go to the Expo page of the race website, www.san-diego.competitor.com, for times and location of the Expo.


Dodge Rock 'n' Roll San Diego

Dad to kristenrunning:

woohoo




So....yeah. I'm returning to the town of my birth to run the San Diego Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon in June. I'm still hoping to run one in February or March, but I'm so excited to run a race where my family will be waiting for me at the finish line!!!!!!

3 comments:

ShortSkirts said...

Yay! More running! Also your emails with your dad cracked me up. That's basically the same form threads with my dad take haha. So fun! Good Luck!

Generation X (Slomohusky) said...

funny! although i will keep doing the lower case thing!

chris mcpeake said...

Hilarious ... got to love the power of the email