Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Planning

11.5 weeks.

I have 11.5 weeks until I run the San Diego half-marathon, and as discussed in my last post, my recent performance worries me. Last time I signed up for a half-marathon, I could barely finish 2 miles without cursing and stopping to catch my breath. I followed an easy training schedule that added 1 mile to my long distance every week and worked my way up to almost 14 miles a few weeks before I ran. And then I ran the fastest half-marathon of my life.

Now I want to run faster.

Clearly, I've responded to training schedules before, so I did some lunchtime research and found this 9 week program. I think that I can do it. I don't live spectacularly close to any tracks that I know of, but I have a bicycle and a decent knowledge of where to ride to find one. I'm interested to see how I can hold up with speed training, etc. And if I train for 8-minute miles (which I *think* I can do), and maintain that pace during the race, I'd blow my personal record out of the water. I'm worried that the longest run prior to the race is 12 miles, but I know from November that I can, in fact, do 13.1. I'm also worried about how my body will hold up when I throw Sunday ultimate into the mix. I mean, I could just shift the schedule such that Sundays would be my rest day (which I would burn on ultimate), but my last bout of training tought me that rest days are important.

I'm torn. I like the fact that this would allow me 2.5 weeks to rebuild my cold-damaged endurance before jumping into training, but I have reservations that I described in the previous paragraph.

Could anyone please weigh in on their experiences with speed training? I haven't really done it since track in high school (which, OMG, is 9 years ago now). What are training schedules that have helped you achieve personal records? Finally, does anyone care to join me in this training program? As I've written numerous times, it's always easier to motivate myself and really push myself beyond my comfort zone when I have someone else there.

3 comments:

Generation X (Slomohusky) said...

First things first. Hi Kristin! I have missed you in the blogosphere.

Speed goals? in putting this as your priority, first think about the race/course you have ahead of you. San Diego is not a fast course. It starts out like it might be. Then at mile 3 or 4ish you hit rock hard freeway concrete that is horribly pitched. You will be running on the left side of the freeway with your right foot feeling 45 degrees higher than your left. It is an ankle/ achilles killer. Then you hit a pretty sizeable long hill. After that I really think far too many go too fast down the other side of the hill. Which kinda sets up disaster (early crash) for the rest of the race which is pretty flat. However, it is also pretty humid, sunny and warm for this race each year. I know a pretty expert Marathoner (done Boston 3 times) who ended up in the Med Tent after SD Rock Roll.

Whatever speed drills you are working into your training. Just keep in mind the course. Plan for when you can turn on the speed, and you need to hold back at SD RR. If you want a FAST course you have one in your own backyard in the Puget Sound area. Skagit Flats Marathon near Burlington/Mt. Vernon. Very fast course and I know many who do it to qualify for Boston. I believe they an HM for it.

Good luck! Keep kickin! Happy to be reading some Run Baby Run postings again. :)

Greg said...

First, switch the Wednesday with the ultimate day. "3-4 miles (or rest)" sounds a lot to me like 'ultimate game (or not, because the field was too wet)'.

Second, I tried a different (longer) speed training and I think it marginally helped. I, too, am lazy and skip days, plus I'm getting older, so it's hard to tell.

Third, if you have a bike trail and gmaps pedometer, you don't need a track per se. Just measure out some obvious 200/400/800m distances; you shouldn't have to be exact. It's a lot more interesting than running around a track, anyway.

Kristen said...

GenX/Slomo! I love that you're back to blogging too. I completely understand your reasons for your break, but it sure is nice to have some cheer in my life, too :) Your advice about San Diego will be absolutely paramount. I'm nervous that I'm setting my sights too high - 8 min/mile is a great goal, but ultimately, I'd be ecstatic with 8:30s, too, which isn't too much faster than my Seattle time.

Thanks for your comment, for your wonderful support, and for returning to the blogosphere. :)