Sunday, October 10, 2010

Buddies

I've had two excellent training runs since my last update. I think that this positivity could, in part, be attributed to the fact that I enjoyed a most excellent birthday week. Among the many highlights was what I've decided to consider "cross-training" on Thursday.

...so, I ride bikes every Thursday with a club that describes itself as "a drinking club with a cycling problem." This is accurate. This particular Thursday brought with it a soundsystem attached to a Surly Long Haul Trucker, Faygo cocktails, and a dance party in SODO at a former hobo camp underneath I-5. THe whole club presented a cupcake bearing a lit candle and sang "Happy Birthday" to me at this location -- possibly the most memorable happy birthday I'll ever receive :) By the way, dancing - like, when you put your whole self and all your energy and personality into it - is an incredible work-out.

"The Club," photo courtesy of Deven Wilson

As usual, my Thursday night gallivanting kept me up until the wee hours of Friday morning, and I honestly was not feeling the scheduled 4 mile training run. I was worn out from lack of sleep, distance on bike, and as mentioned, hours upon hours of vigorous dancing. This run was not going to happen without the help of a friend, and luckily for me, Sam rose to the occasion. With his company and enthusiasm to motivate me, we covered a pleasant post-work five miles on a gorgeous Seattle fall evening. We maintained an easy pace such that conversation did not strain either of us, but still remained within my goal of 10 minutes per mile or less. The route was fantastic - mildly hilly, but it broke me out of the South Lake Union monotony, and showed us views of downtown, the Seattle Center, and Lake Union. As I noted when running with my sister in Bozeman, the company helps. It kept me out of my mind (for example, I'll usually over-analyze my stride, my speed, or I'll dog on myself for failing to reach previously achieved ease in certain situations), and it allowed me to get to know a friend a bit better.

So...when it was time for me to run 8 miles for Sunday's training, I consulted the Facebooks for any interested parties to keep me company. And I learned that all it takes is asking. Sure enough, Zach, a former frisbee teammate of mine agreed to run half of my route with me. Once again, the four miles that we ran together absolutely flew by - I enjoyed the chance to be out of my head and to concentrate on the conversation. My buddy-run got me from the starting point (my office) around SLU to the University Bridge. Zach and I parted ways, and I continued with my iPod along the Burke-Gilman trail, across the Montlake bridge, through the Montlake playfield, and along the water until the street intersected Eastlake, which brought me back to my car. I loved the route, and I loved the Seattle autumn weather. There was a point along the train that brings me from Montlake Bridge to the Montlake play field where the trees formed this gorgeous canopy of orange and yellow, and the light rain just solidified the falltime feeling. I felt invigorated and invincible, like I could burst into a million pieces from happiness. It has been so long since I've run this far! My only stop during this run was when Zach and I parted ways after about 4 miles, and I felt great when I finished. I guess that there really IS something to this training!

2 comments:

Generation X (Slomohusky) said...

nothing like have parnters in crime or running that is. BTW HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Kristen said...

Thanks Slomo!

:)