Thursday, October 28, 2010

Double Digits!

10 miles, baby!



I meant to do this distance while I was in LA for the weekend, but my priority list was set, and skewed though it may be, running was not at the top of it. And I wasn't feeling entirely well on Monday or Tuesday, so it had to be a Wednesday run.

And it couldn't have been more perfect.

Though dry, it wasn't particularly warm - I had to bust out the Nike running knickers and long sleeves - and it was dark. We've fallen into the dark days up here, where the sun sets before you get off of work, so you're left running by the light of downtown. It could be much, much worse. I was lucky enough to run my first five miles on Lake Union with the company of Zach and his most excellent pooch Zedd, both wonderful running buddies that help the miles fly by. After we parted, my iPod ear buds were inserted, and the likes of Debussy, Miles Davis, and Vince Guaraldi accompanied me through some of my favorite parts of Seattle. I gained a special appreciation for the moment when my run brought me by McCaw Hall to enter the Seattle Center.



It was lit similarly to the above picture, and right before I entered this fountain-side corridor, Nessun Dorma from Puccini's opera Turandot started playing through my ear buds, and it accompanied me through the Seattle Center. It was beautiful - the lighting, the music, the Space Needle on the horizon, and running...you just can't let moments like that go. They're bliss, and how fortunate to have found it!

Running through downtown was a bit stressful and annoying. Lots of stoplights, lots of obstacles, but it still made for an interesting run. However, I was happy to leave it behind as I trudged up Capitol Hill to get to Cal Anderson Park. I have stated before that hills are my kryptonite. They intimidate me, and I think that mentality has made them that much more difficult. But, I made it. Last night, I made it all the way up the hill, no stops until I hit the light at Broadway, which was at the top of my ascent. On the way, I saw two good friends, which kind of rejuvenated me, but ultimately...I did it! And I kept going! As good as it felt, I think teh reassurance that I can survive hills is the best thing to come out of this run. I've been a little bit worried about my impending Seattle HM, simply because it IS a difficult run. The hills are plentiful and they are long. But, like everything, I just need to take it one step at a time, and last night's run gave me faith that I'm capable of doing so.

So...onward! I have a frisbee tournament this weekend, for which I will switch my schedule around a bit. Hoping to do my 11 miles on Monday of next week instead of Sunday, and will skip Friday's 4 miles to allow myself some rest - I mean, really, ultimate is a GREAT workout, and it can tire a girl out :)

Until next time, happy trails to any of you who read this. I appreciate your support more than I can express, and I love following your adventures through these crazy interwebz.

2 comments:

Generation X (Slomohusky) said...

Keep kickin' the miles Kristin! I love ten mile runs! My fav. training distance. You are pretty brave running through downtown and the Center. That is a pretty Fab shot/pix though. I used to have season tix for a few Opera Seasons in Seattle years ago. As always you have me missing Seattle! TC!

Kristen said...

Thanks, Slomo! I have to say, I always thought that 8 milers were my favorite, but these 10 miles felt GREAT! :) Hope your training's going wonderfully - you have some big races ahead of you!