Monday, October 11, 2010

OMG, shoes

So...I broke my own rule.

I used to replace my shoes on a regular basis, as the professionals recommend. But, then I spent almost a year recovering from a big injury, and the lack of running led me to believe that I could train for and run the 2010 Seattle HM in the pair that I'd purchased right before my injury really set it. It's not like they were brand new. I ran in them irregularly starting in September of last year. I also spent a lot of that time working for a non-profit (which, while fulfilling - we're working to treat Malaria! - paid terribly), and I really could not afford new running shoes until I started my industry job in June.

During Friday's run, I started feeling the dreaded pain: my left knee was starting to hurt, especially during descents, and both of my shins started to feel a bit tender.

Oh, no. No, no, no, no, no! I have a half-marathon! I am just getting back, finally finding my smooth! I'm finally happy with running again! Shins, you are NOT allowed to take this away from me!

I figured the easiest fix would probably be new shoes. On my way home from brunch this morning, I made a stop in to Super Jock 'n Jill with a specific request: Please fit me with Brooks Defyance in a ladies' 9.5. The salesman, Cory, asked me if I was at all interested in trying on other shoes, and I knew for sure that it would be a waste of time because yes, in fact, I've been running in Brooks for the last four years, and the Defyance has gotten me through two other half marathons. Why would I change something that has obviously worked? Still...why not? I'm a girl, I like trying on shoes, right? Plus, the new Defyance colors just don't match my running outfits.


...(oh my god, I'm kidding! I run in whatever's clean which rarely, if ever, matches).

So, Cory brought me through the gamut of neutral stride shoes. Adidas Supernovas, Asics Nimbus, Mizunos, New Balance, Saucony...I'd wear these and compare them to the feel of the new pair of Defyances. I think my least favorite upon first feel were the Saucony shoes, but Cory insisted that I go run the hill with one on my left foot and a Defyance on my right. And what I found couldn't be right, so I tried the other way around - the Defyance on my left and the Saucony on my right.

And as it turns out, Cory rocked my world. Four years of brand loylalty: done. The Saucony ProGrid Ride 3s were like running on clouds. Perfect cushioning, but great movement and much more reactive than the Defyance.

I put these new shoes to the test with Sunday's long run OH MY GOD! Who knew that new shoes would make such a big difference? I felt comfortable, light, and springy. Maybe it was psychosomatic, but I'll take the lack of shin and knee pain any day.



Saucony, I give your product an enthusiastic thumbs up. Thanks for helping me chase my distance :)

2 comments:

Generation X (Slomohusky) said...

great! nothing like a great pair of new kicks! i swtiched my brand loyalty recently as well. good luck!

Kristen said...

Thanks for the comments! :) Honestly, reading your account of switching from NB to the Nimbus kind of put a bug in my ear about replacing my own shoes, although I have to admit that my shift away from Brooks was entirely unexpected. Are you still loving the Nimbus?