Thursday, October 21, 2010

Hillacious is Bootylicious. Amirite?!

There's nothing quite like running up a beast of a hill to acquaint you with your capacity for pain, your mental fortitude, and of course, Mr. Maximus. Yes, I mean the one of the Gluteas variety. Yesterday's run brought me from Lake Union (14 feet above sea level) to the top of Capitol Hill at Volunteer Park (444 feet above sea level) within the first 2 miles of my run. I know it's not THAT brutal, but the fact that the majority of my ascent was concentrated to two very small regions made this a good hill trainer.



I don't think I've ever run from Eastlake to Volunteer Park without stopping at least once. My route again included Interlaken (love!), but instead of turning left at the fork in the road and continuing along the flat, winding tree-covered path, I took a right and trudged up an equally winding incline. I usually start to feel that lactic acid burn about halfway between the turn and the point where Interlaken intersects Galer. But yesterday...yesterday was different. Despite starting with tired legs (running, cycling, cycling, cycling, cycling, cycling, cycling, ad nauseum), the cobwebs from Monday's run seemed to be shed pretty easily, and my joints began to feel flexible and ready. My pace quickened on descents, and I reminded myself to take my time on hills, shortening my stride and breathing evenly. And before I knew it, I had conquered Interlaken in one go. Success continued as I turned right onto Galer, facing the last *really* steep incline of my run. Perhaps it was honing into the task before me and reminding myself that it was my responsibility to push myself through it, maybe it was Cannonball Adderley's improv on Autumn Leaves, maybe it was the beautiful fall day - but I found it in me to keep running, to push myself to the top of the hill. And wouldn't you know that Volunteer Park rewarded my efforts with a view of the gorgeous orange sun setting behind the Space Needle.

Hills: ouch. Burning muscles: fo' sho'. Feeling that much more ready and excited for the Seattle half-marathon: priceless.

1 comment:

ShortSkirts said...

I love your post name, so while i'm not a runner i did several hikes this summer up some seemingly never ending switchbacks, and its kind of funny because while I could feel my muscles burning i just kept thinking how much lovlier my booty will look when this hike is done.