Saturday, January 8, 2011

Another Series of Fortunate Emails

04 January 2011
ShortSkirts to Kristenrunning:

Subject: Happy New Year & Valentine's Day Dash
Hey Kristen,

Hope your holiday was great and you had an awesome new year! So last year Zach & Josh did a bro-love run of the Valentine's Day Dash and are looking to get more people together to do it this year. It's a 5k around Green Lake that you run in pairs.


Anyway I've caught quite the running bug you were right it took less than a month, and was wondering if you'd like to be my running valentine and do this race with me?

05 January 2011
Kristenrunning to ShortSkirts:

Yo, lady friend! Happy New Year to you too :) I hope that you enjoyed your holiday season as well. Montana was great - family time is always valuable, and it was kind of nice to escape from Seattle for a little bit.

You. are. AWESOME! I am so glad that you've enjoyed running and that you're considering a half marathon! It's been a lot of fun following your running updates on Shortskirts and Science. You're doing amazingly :) I would absolutely LOVE to be your running valentine this year! Question: How do you feel about costumes? :)

Talk to you soon, my running friend! I'd love to join you on a run one of these days. Let me know if you're ever in the mood for a running buddy :)

Cheers!
Kristen

ShortSkirts to Kristenrunning:

Yay! I'm so excited. Also I love costumes. The sillier the better. I tested the running with people water's with zedd & zach last weekend and really enjoyed it so after my 5k next weekend i'd love to get together and run, this upcoming week is less interesting because I think I'm actually going to do the whole taper and rest thing, I had an amazing 2 mile run yesterday that blew me out of the water since I've been just dead tired all week with running, frisbee, and extra hours at the gym. Anyway even though I felt pretty tired the run was amazing I PR'd my two mile time so now i'm like hmmm I wonder what I can do if my legs actually aren't exhausted.

Anyway I'll sign us up on the site and let the boys know that they have some competition haha.

Kristenrunning to ShortSkirts:

Hey lady friend!

Would you be okay if I published our email exchange on my blog? It would be in the style of my post "A Series of Fortunate Emails," and I would refer to you as ShortSkirts in the exchanges. No email addresses will be published. And, if you'd rather not, no worries at all :)

In the meantime....yay, your big race is coming up! I'm so excited for you!!! It's a lot of fun - it's a great pay-out for all of the training you've put in. Tapering is definitely a great idea. I think it was one of the components of my training program that allowed me the success that I encountered, and it's amazing how good it feels to run after a few days of rest! I was hoping that I'd be able to come down and cheer you on, but I'm afraid that I'll be out of town that weekend :( Please know that I'll be thinking about you and cheering you on from my remote location :) Do you run on Saturday or Sunday?

Finally. I've heard really good things about the St. Patty's Day dash. There's a beer garden at the finish line and everything AND there's a costume contest :) Info here: http://stpatsdash.com/ It's supposed to be approximately 4 miles this year, which could be great, either as a training run, or as a mid-distance stepping stone to a 10k or a half-marathon. I am signing myself up and thought you might be interested as well. Shoot, we could even try to put together a team if we so desire!

Hope you're having a wonderful day, ShortSkirts! Talk to you soon!
Kristen

ShortSkirts to Kristenrunning:

Hey Kristen,

I'm totally cool with you publishing our emails on your blog. Go for it!

I'm super excited for the race its on Saturday, and then I have two Winter League games afterwards at Magnuson so it'll be a very athletic day, and then our frisbee team has Fancy Cocktail Party that evening so it'll be a great day I think. Run, Frisbee, Dresses & Cocktails! Thank you for your thoughts!

Yes I saw the St. Paddy's Day Dash that does look like a lot of fun. I love costumes and looking ridiculous so I'd totally be down for that. I will do some recruiting for that event too with the boys I think.

I think I have committed myself to a half, I kind of talk like I'm running one and planned out a running schedule from now till June 25th to do the Rock n' Roll half. A lot of teammates are doing the Vancouver one May 1st, but I find running in Seattle very special, and my sister may come out and run it with me and she's not done with school till the end of May. I'd love to show you my plan and see if you have any suggestions. I have a long lead time its like my current 5k plan, plus an 8 week advanced 5/10k that builds up to 7 miles. Then a 12 week half plan tacked on. I did some switching around the days the long runs will happen on since Frisbee is Friday and Sundays in the Spring. So basically all I have to do is sign up now and keep running.

I went out this morning at 7am and it was just this awesome special experience. It was great. I'm totally hooked haha.

Oh also I'm playing Hangover this weekend too. If you need a ride let me know. Our team is hosting so I have to stay a little later and help clean up but I'll be heading to the fields at like 9:30ish.

Hope you are having a great day!

**********

Can I just say how awesome it is to know people who are as enthusiastic about running as I am? ShortSkirts is a fantastic lady that I met through our mutual love of ultimate frisbee, and she's recently stumbled upon a running obsession. She is an infinitely talented woman, and as I'm sure you have gathered from the above email exchange, I am lucky enough to call her my running valentine! So, that and the St. Paddy's Day dash are both on my radar. I still would like to get a good half in sometime in March...

Suggestions? Bueller?

1 comment:

ShortSkirts said...

Hooray I'm so excited to run with you!