Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Seattle Half-Marathon 2010, Here I Come!

I got bored.

Spawnfest ended after our loss at semifinals, and I realized that, for the first time since I started *really* playing ultimate, I would not be going to the series this year. I still have Hanford Howl to look forward to, and there's also fall league with my fishies, but I was bored and I was feeling sorry for myself. I needed a purpose! I needed a goal (let's face it, I don't know how to function without aspiring to something in the process)! I needed something bigger than myself!

...and maybe I was feeling a little bit fat.

So, I bit the bullet, paid $70 online, and am now financially commited to running the Seattle half-marathon on November 28, 2010 (the Sunday of Thanksgiving weekend).

Last time I participated in this run, I did kind of an improvised "run how I run" approach to training. I was in full-blown weight loss mode(pretty sure I was weighing in just under 145 lb when I ran the last one), was running 30-40 miles per week, and had almost a year of solid running as my background. I think the longest run I did up to that point probably clocked in around 10 miles. I finished in about 2 hours, and was proud of it.

Thing is, I don't have the year of solid running behind me this time, and running is no longer a habit or an addiction. So, my approach has changed. I found a good little 12-week training schedule online that eases me back in before pushing me to longer (i.e., greater than 6 miles) distances. I'll post it as soon as I can find it online again. I don't have a goal beyond finishing (i.e., crossing the finish line without walking during the 13.1 miles). As great as it would be to break through my last half-marathon time, my level of physical fitness now as compared to then suggests to me that aiming so high is unrealistic. And who knows. If this goes well, I may sign up for another one and train to finish in a set time. Better yet, maybe I'll rediscover my love of the sport and (as seems to happen when I start running a lot), I may return to a size that I find to be acceptable and attractive.

In the meantime, I'mma post my runs in here and hope that the rest of you (assuming anyone's out there) hold me accountable. No need to pay $70 to fail, right?

Thanks in advance for the support! Also - get at me if you'd like to train with me!

3 comments:

Jon "rb" Bauman said...

Let me know if you ever want some company running.

Unknown said...

Do you have a schedule worked out?

Kristen said...

Jon, I always love company when I go running. You (and Andrew) can see my schedule in the September 7 post. Let me know if there are any days or distances that are of particular interest. Cheers!