Saturday, September 18, 2010

Training Run 8 - 3 Miles



Oops! I overshot again.

The run had potential. The weather was rainy, and it just so happens that i like running in rain. Temperatures in the 60F range are also incredibly conducive to a good time. The route was entertaining - I love running through the Seattle Center when I can, and only recently realized how close it is to where I work. I also had my favorite pair of running shorts AND my favorite mild-weather running shirt, an Incubus baseball-style concert shirt I got when I was 20.

Everything was right except for me. My legs felt heavy and sluggish. My breath was fine, but I felt just plain tired. Drained. Slow. Clunky, even! I know that we can't always be 100%, and I know that I'm bound to have bad runs. I guess it just worries me a little bit -- what if the half-marathon happens to be one of those days for me? I think my training schedule has me set up to succeed - lots of tapering and rest during the two weeks prior to the big 13.1, but I still worry.

And it's so funny. Even though I don't feel great about how yesterday's nearly four miles felt, I still did them within the realm of expectation that I set for myself when I started this training program. I stopped once for a desperately needed stretch (calf cramping around the soleus AGAIN!), and still finished in 34 minutes and change. Yes, I know it's slow and I am appropriately disappointed. Still. When I set out three(?) weeks ago, my goal was to keep my miles under 10 minutes, and I've succeeded thus far.

Enough for now. 5 ahead of me tomorrow, and lots o' bike riding today to take in what might be the last sunny day for a while.

No comments: