Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Training Run 6 - Lake Union

...or, the day that my body finally remembered how to run and was able to tap into the cardiovascular base that has come with riding my bike every day.



i don't know to which aspect i can attribute today's success. i like to believe that my music choice often contributes significantly to inspiring the next steps, in getting me through any exhaustion or lack of enthusiasm. starting today's 6ish miles with journey's "separate ways (worlds apart)" was, surprisingly, a good choice. it's one of those songs that makes me laugh and reminisce over a good night shared recently with friends (over one or three beers, naturally). as such, it helps me find my rhythm. it reminds me that i should be grateful for every step i take running because, deep down, i truly do love it and because i could not do it for so long.

perhaps it went so well today because i'd downed a mocha a couple of hours prior to running (and stop judging me - it was a small!). i know it's likely psychosomatic, but i'm otherwise convinced that caffeine makes me go faster and tap more effectively into my cardiovascular capacity. this, by the way, is why you'll almost always find me drinking either coffee or diet soda before ultimate games.

i think the most likely explanation is the fact that i missed two training runs while my parents visited over the weekend. they're walkers and when they come to visit, it's more important to me to walk 4 miles with them than it is to run 2 or 3 or whatever my schedule called for on those days. it called for 2.5 miles today at an easy pace. instead, i ran 6ish miles around Lake Union in just under 50 minutes. not spectacularly fast, but faster than i've been since i started training, and much, much farther. but it finally felt better. it felt good. only one stop to stretch after about 3 miles. go me!

don't worry, i know it's bad to deviate from a published schedule. i did extra mileage today because i missed 7 miles' worth of runs over the weekend. i don't plan to miss anymore, and i don't plan to improvise as my schedule allows. part of this thing is the commitment that it requires. part of it is establishing and adhering to a schedule. part is re-immersion into a sport that i used to love so fervently. that said, it felt wonderful to learn that i'm still capable of not only running this distance, but having that drive to continue when i finished.

rest day tomorrow, and then i dive back in with a 2.5 miler on wednesday. hooah!

No comments: