Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Training Run 5 - 2 Miles



So...it was 2.6 miles. Whoops!

It's a good sign that I don't feel satisfied when I'm done, right? That I want to run more? Previous experience should be enough to teach me to refrain from overdoing it; I do not have enough sanity nor patience for another year out of my many sports. But sometimes, the day's events can be so frustrating, so troubling that they force your legs forward, faster, as if this frantic drive will propel me away from the unexpected angst that accompanied today's events.*

I think that's how I found my running addiction in the first place. I was 18 and I was going through a bit of relationship drama, so I hopped on the dreadmill (it was the middle of January in Billings, MT. The ground was covered in ice, and the air was biting enough to chase me indoors for my daily run) with Incubus' "Make Yourself" loaded into my discman. I set the time for 60 minutes and my pace for 7:30 miles. An hour later, I had gone through every possible scenario, found resolve, and a little bit of a runner's high.

Come to think of it, I've since dealt with most of my stronger emotional reactions by throwing on my running shoes and hashing through my mental state in so many miles. Truth is, I can never actually run away from my problems. It's certainly not an adult way to cope, nor is it fair. I can, however, use the 20 minutes to 2 hours to solidify my thoughts and feelings about anything in the world. It makes sense of the trauma that came with abandoning my weekly 40 miles with the onset of my back injury, and in my mind, it truly highlights my immense appreciation for this coping mechanism. I don't know how I went so long without it.


*I apologize. I don't want to be super vague about things, but I've blogged my personal experiences, romantic exploits, and interpersonal battles before. It was a mistake that caused a lot of problems and cost me a friendship. That said, I'm fine, I will be fine, I just need to let it go.

3 comments:

cwindy said...

Good luck with the training. I wish mine included 2 and 3 mile runs. We'll be doing the full marathon that day. Perhaps we'll see you somewhere prior to the races. If not good luck

Kristen said...

Thanks Craig! Careful what you wish for...if I'd never been injured, there's a good chance that my current training routine would not involve the 2 and 3 mile runs. Any advice for me as I'm getting back into it?

Awesome that you two are doing the full marathon that day! How's your training going? It would be great to see both of you - if not before, then after. The full starts after the half, doesn't it? I'll make sure to stick around and cheer for both of you as you cross the finish line :)

cwindy said...

advice for getting back into running? Take it slow. Don't over do the mileage or the pace. It will likely leave you feeling tired and sore in places you didn't know you could be sore, but that goes away. Oh and make sure you stay well hydrated and fueled. The biking should help your body stay balanced, so keep that up. Oh and if you are not feeling particularly motivated for a run, get a running partner...they'll help you get out of bed and get you moving.

Our training has been difficult to keep up with this time. Things have just been crazy busy lately, so keeping up with getting the speed work, tempo runs, and the loooong 2-3 hour runs in has been difficult. I hoping to be able to keep Hillarie on pace for her to qualify for Boston (< 3:40). That time would also be a PR for me, so here's to hoping.