Friday, September 24, 2010

Training Run 12 - 4 Miles in Bozeman

Holy crap, Bozeman is awesome.

My sister was obligated to come running with me because, well, she's my sister and because she didn't want to see me lost or eaten by a grizzly bear or something.

We took a relaxed pace and ran from her house, up Pete's Hill (you get the most amazing 360 views at the top of this - it's a ridge and trail running along the top of it is, in a way, validation of how much I love this sport). Apart from that hill, though, Bozeman is mostly flat. After years of running in Seattle, I cannot begin to tell you how refreshing it is to set off on a run, leaving from home, and have the luxury of no hill-induced intimidation. Ended with a decadent brunch at Nova - turkey hash: too salty. But my dad's order of a cheesy belgian waffle covered in fried eggs, bacon, and maple syrup (called The Morning After) was just about perfect.

This was the first of my training runs during which I had company. We ran at a slower pace, but this is good for me. Pacing has always been my Achilles' heel - I've read that the ability to maintain a conversation while running signals a good pace, and I never felt too out of breath to talk today. We also had to pace ourselves, as tomorrow brings with it a 60 mile bicycle ride (a yearly birthday tradition) - no need to burn ourselves out on a training run! I also have to say: conversation is significantly more entertaining than music. It makes the time pass faster, it makes the run more enjoyable, and it gets me out of my head (which, while running, can be waaaay too distracting).

So, that's that. I should move to Bozeman for more enjoyable running, great bread, mountains, grad school (?), snow, and many other things. As stated, 60 miles on a bike tomorrow, likely at a slower pace. Then...I'll somehow have to squeeze 6 miles in on Sunday...maybe a run in Big Sky?

Onward.

2 comments:

Generation X (Slomohusky) said...

I love Bozeman and have run there a few times as well. Good luck in your training!

Kristen said...

Thank you, Slomo! I can't tell you how it made my day to see that you commented on my blog. I've been following yours for quite some time, and it has truly inspired and helped me as I'm getting back into the rhythm of it. I've just always been too shy to comment. I hope that you're enjoying your training!