Monday, September 6, 2010

Training Run 4 - 2 Miles Recovery



Maybe it's the rain, maybe it's because I ran later than usual, maybe it's the fact that I had to run out and just get this done, but today's run felt right. I didn't overthink it, just walked out my door and started running without a second thought. Was it particularly fast? No. Was it long? No, not at all, I clocked in a whole 2 miles. But, I ran it faster than I did on Wednesday (granted, the hills on today's run were significantly kinder than those in the Eastlake area), and I felt like I could have done at least another two before calling it quits.

Isn't it funny how the best run can happen on a day when we feel the least motivated? I'm wondering if it has to do with expectations - if you spend the day dreading your miles, it's bound to feel better than you expected, right? And I suppose it makes sense that a run that you eagerly anticipate has more potential to disappoint than one that's been wearing a negative light since its inception. It's absolutely true that the hardest stride in running is the one that brings you out the door - it's amazing how much better I feel once I get going.

No comments: